1. In case you haven’t noticed, today is Thursday. It will be cloudy with a high temperature of 59 degrees and an 80 percent chance of rain late, according to The Weather Channel. Tonight will have showers early with a low temperature of 43 degrees.
2. On This Day in: 1607, the British established an American colony at Cape Henry, Virginia. It was the first permanent English establishment in the Western Hemisphere; 1865, John Wilkes Booth was killed by the U.S. Federal Cavalry; 1941, an organ was played at a baseball stadium for the first time in Chicago; 1964, the Boston Celtics won their sixth consecutive NBA title. They won two more before the streak came to an end; and 1986, the world’s worst nuclear disaster to date occurred at Chernobyl, in Kiev. Thirty-one people died in the incident and thousands more were exposed to radioactive material.
3. The Veterans Council of Windsor Locks has made tentative plans for the town-wide Memorial Day observance. The observance will be held on May 28, and will include cemetery services, a bridge ceremony, a morning parade and services at .
The Veterans Council is requesting the townspeople and the youth of the community to participate in the observance and parade and invites the following organizations and individuals of Windsor Locks to participate _ all Boy Scout and Girl Scout unites, all Little League Baseball teams, all fraternal and social organizations, all town officials, and all former veterans whether they belong to a veterans organization or not.
Any of the above groups who may wish to join in the parade are requested to contact Edward Sabotka at 860-623-5704 or Stanley Wieliczka at 860-623-5403 for further details.
4. The Opera House Players will present the flashy musical La Cage Aux Folles from May 4 - 20 at the , 107 Main Street, Broad Brook. Performances are Fridays and Saturdays at 8 pm and Sundays at 2 pm.
Tickets can be purchased online at www.operahouseplayers.org or by calling the box office at 860-292-6068. The show will be directed by area performer and director Sharon FitzHenry, with musical direction by Bill Martin, choreography by Kristen Shaw, and tap choreography by Keith Leonhardt.
La Cage tells the story of Georges, the owner of a glitzy nightclub in lovely Saint-Tropez, and his partner Albin, who moonlights as the glamorous chanteuse Zaza. When Georges' son brings his fiancée's conservative parents home to meet the flashy pair, the bonds of family are put to the test as the feather boas fly. La Cage is a tuneful and touching tale of one family's struggle to stay together... stay fabulous... and above all else, stay true to themselves. La Cage won the 1984 Tony Award for Best Musical.
5. The American Legion Post and Auxiliary of Windsor Locks will hold their next breakfast gathering from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. on May 6 at . All Post and Auxiliary members, their families and friends are invited to attend.