1. It’s Friday, end of the work for most of us. It will be mostly sunny with a high temperature of 92 degrees, according to The Weather Channel. Tonight will be partly cloudy with a low temperature of 70 degrees.
2. On This Day in: 1699, Captain William Kidd, the pirate, was captured in Boston and deported back to England; 1933, the first All-Star baseball game was held in Chicago. The American League beat the National League 4-2; 1942 - Diarist Anne Frank and her family took refuge from the Nazis in Amsterdam; and 1985, the submarine Nautilus arrived in Groton. The vessel had been towed from Mare Island Naval Shipyard.
3. The Opera House Players will be holding The Poor Man’s Cabaret at 8 p.m. July 13 and 14, and 2 p.m. July 15 at the . The performances are a benefit for the Opera House Players.
The show will feature music from Jason Robert Brown, Jonathan Larson and many other new Broadway composers, while still featuring great songs from the past. Tickets are $15 and there will be open seating.
Let Patch save you time. Get great local stories like this delivered right to your inbox or smartphone every day with our free newsletter. Simple, fast sign-up here.
4. The is hosting a BBQ on the Line Fundraiser. The fundraiser is to raise money for extending the track to Piney Ridge Park. The BBQ will be held on July 28. Doors will open at 5 p.m. The BBQ will be catered by Danny’s Little Taste of Texas of South Windsor. Tickets are on sale now. Ticket prices are: $22 per adult, $15 per child and may be purchased by contacting the museum: 860-627-6540 or by going on-line to www.ct-trolley.org. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
By purchasing a ticket to the event you will not only enjoy the southern cooking of Danny’s Little Taste of Texas, but you will receive full admission into the museum. The museum will be running a few different style trolleys that evening. So come down enjoy the southern cooking, a wonderful ride through lovely Connecticut country side, and an all around great time with family and friends.
5. Don’t forget, we here at Patch are always looking for news, announcements and events in East Windsor and Windsor Locks. Feel free to post your own events and announcements, start a blog or even leave a comment. We also like letters to the editor. You can also send a news tip, letter to the editor or suggestion to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.