1. It’s Monday, and we’re possibly in the dog days of summer, or is that in August. Anyway, it will be partly sunny with morning showers possible and a high temperature of 93 degrees, according to The Weather Channel. Tonight will be partly cloudy with a low temperature of 69 degrees.
2. On This Day in: 1790, the District of Columbia, or Washington, D.C. was established as the permanent seat of the United States Government; 1945, the United States detonated the first atomic bomb in a test at Alamogordo, N.M.; 1951, J.D. Salinger's novel "The Catcher in the Rye" was first published; 1957 Marine Major John Glenn set a transcontinental speed record when he flew a jet from California to New York in 3 hours, 23 minutes and 8 seconds; and 1969, Apollo 11 blasted off from Cape Kennedy, Fla., and began the first manned mission to land on the moon.
3. Opera House Players, Inc., is having auditions for the musical You’re A Good Man, Charlie Brown. Auditions will be held at the , 107 Main Street, Broad Brook, on from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. July 29 and 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., July 31 (followed by callbacks).
Be prepared to sing 16-32 bars (not from the show), Broadway standards (not rock) are suggested. Bring sheet music, accompanist will be provided. Auditions will include cold readings from the script with a possible movement portion as well (dress appropriately). Directors are looking for actors age 16-40 (no younger, please). Email the director at
email@example.com with any questions.
The show will be directed by Brett Gottheimer, with musical direction by John Pike, and choreography by Chelsea Neville. Performances are Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from November 9 through 25. For additional information, including directions to the Broad Brook Opera House, visit www.operahouseplayers.org.
4. The is hosting a BBQ on the Line Fundraiser. The fundraiser is to raise money for extending the track to Piney Ridge Park. The BBQ will be held on July 28. Doors will open at 5 p.m. The BBQ will be catered by Danny’s Little Taste of Texas of South Windsor. Tickets are on sale now. Ticket prices are: $22 per adult, $15 per child and may be purchased by contacting the museum: 860-627-6540 or by going on-line to www.ct-trolley.org. Tickets must be purchased in advance.
By purchasing a ticket to the event you will not only enjoy the southern cooking of Danny’s Little Taste of Texas, but you will receive full admission into the museum. The museum will be running a few different style trolleys that evening.
5. The Fourth Annual Taste of East Windsor will be held from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. on September 9 at . The event will have offerings from local restaurants, booths from local businesses, and activities for families.
To be a part of this community event contact Lois at 860-573-0591 or email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at www.Facebook.com/TasteofEastWindsor2012.