Good morning, Windsor Locks and East Windsor! Today is Wednesday, Feb. 13, 2013; there are 321 days left in the year.
So the International Olympic Committee further proved how irrelevant the Olympics are by eliminating wrestling as a sport from the 2020 games to help make room for golf and rugby.
Instead of drug testing the athletes, it’s time to drug test the members of the IOC, because they have to be on crack.
I have nothing against golf or rugby, or any other sport for that matter. Furthermore, I have no dog in this fight. I never wrestled, as I am a complete and total wuss. I played baseball - and with just a handful of countries where it’s played, I don’t harbor any illusions that America’s pastime should return to the quadrennial event.
It’s just that there are some sports that define the Olympics more than others. For example, I associate wrestling more with the Olympics more than, say, the pentathlon, rhythm gymnastics or table tennis.
I stopped watching the Olympics when I was in high school in the 1980s. The doping and jingoism are a turnoff, not to mention dolts like Ryan Lochte.
It’s unlikely that I will return any time soon.
Clearly if the IOC doesn’t care enough about the product with which it is charge to protect, why should I?
Here’s your Daily 5:
1. The East Windsor Board of Education is scheduled to meet tonight at 7:30 p.m.
2. The East Windsor Police Commission meets at 7 p.m.
3. There is a Windsor Locks Board of Finance special meeting at 6:30 p.m.
4. The Windsor Locks Police Commission meets tonight at 7:30 p.m.
5. The Windsor Locks and East Windsor boys and girls basketball teams square off against one another tonight. The boys are in East Windsor, while the girls are in Windsor Locks. Patch, of course, is rooting for well-played ties in both contests.