1. TGI Friday, or I hope Sandy decides to head to Europe this weekend. Anywho, today will be mostly sunny with a high temperature of 69 degrees. Tonight will be partly cloudy with a low temperature of 49 degrees.
2. On This Day in: 1774, the First Continental Congress of the U.S. adjourned in Philadelphia; 1881 - The "Gunfight at the OK Corral" took place in Tombstone, Arizons The fight was between Wyatt Earp, his two brothers and Doc Holiday and the Ike Clanton Gang; 1944, during World War II, the Battle of Leyte Gulf ended. The battle was won by American forces and brought the end of the Pacific phase of World War II into sight; 1955, New York City's "The Village Voice" was first published; 1970 - "Doonesbury," the comic strip by Gary Trudeau, premiered in 28 newspapers across the U.S.; 1977, the experimental space shuttle Enterprise successfully landed at Edwards Air Force Base in California; and 1996, Federal prosecutors cleared Richard Jewell as a suspect in the Olympic park bombing.
3. The Heroes to Hometown Committee of the local American Legion Post is offering a free membership for one year to returning veterans of Windsor Locks. Any veteran who was honorably discharged after June 1, 2010 and is a resident of Windsor Locks will be eligible. It is the hope of the Committee to help the returning veteran to adjust to civilian life and inform the veteran of the many benefits they have earned and are entitled to receive.
It is also important that family members urge returning veterans to immediately record their discharges with the town clerk. There is no charge for this service. Any veteran who would like to join The American Legion of Windsor Locks is requested to call Membership Chairman Edward Sabotka at 860-623-5704 for an appointment.
4. The East Windsor Rotary Club is hosting a Halloween Spaghetti Supper from 4:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. today in East Windsor High School’s cafeteria. The meal, which will benefit, local, national and international charities, will serve spaghetti, meatballs, garlic bread, salad, cookies, soda, coffee and tea for $7 per person. Children 5 and under eat free.
5. Don’t forget to visit the East Windsor Farmer’s Market from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. this Sunday in the Golden Gavel Auction parking lot.