1. It’s the first Thursday in November. Today will be partly cloudy with a high temperature of 56 degrees, according to The Weather Channel. Tonight will be mostly cloudy with a low temperature of 42 degrees.
2. On This Day in: 1512, Michelangelo's paintings on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel were first exhibited to the public; 1800, President John Adams became the first president to live in the White House when he moved in; 1870, The U.S. Weather Bureau made its first meteorological observations using 24 locations that provided reports via telegraph; 1950, Two Puerto Rican nationalists tried to assassinate President Harry Truman. One of the men was killed when they tried to force their way into Blair House in Washington, D.C.; and 1973, Leon Jaworski was appointed the new Watergate special prosecutor in the Watergate case.
3. The Heroes to Hometown Committee of the local American Legion Post is offering a free membership for one year to returning veterans of Windsor Locks. Any veteran who was honorably discharged after June 1, 2010 and is a resident of Windsor Locks will be eligible. It is the hope of the Committee to help the returning veteran to adjust to civilian life and inform the veteran of the many benefits they have earned and are entitled to receive.
It is also important that family members urge returning veterans to immediately record their discharges with the town clerk. There is no charge for this service. Any veteran who would like to join The American Legion of Windsor Locks is requested to call Membership Chairman Edward Sabotka at 860-623-5704 for an appointment.
4. The Windsor Locks Veterans Council will host a Veterans Day Concert at 2 p.m. November 11 in the Windsor Locks High School Auditorium. The First Company Governor's Foot Guard Band will perform a variety of selections to honor our veterans.
The concert is free and open to the public. The doors will open at 1:30 p.m. and the performance will begin at 2 p.m. Reserved seating will be available to all veterans and their families.
5. The 13th Annual East Windsor Veterans Day 5K Road Race will take place at 10 a.m. on November 10. Here is a link to more information.