1. Welcome to Tuesday, it will be mostly cloudy with a high temperature of 72 degrees, according to The Weather Channel. Tonight will have a 60 percent chance of rain and a low temperature of 59 degrees.
2. On This Day in: 1780, British army major John Andre was hanged as a spy. He was carrying information about the actions of Benedict Arnold; 1836, Charles Darwin returned to England after 5 years of acquiring knowledge around the world about fauna, flora, wildlife and geology. He used the information to develop his "theory of evolution" which he unveiled in his 1859 book entitled The Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection; 1950, "Peanuts," the comic strip created by Charles M. Schulz, was published for the first time in seven newspapers; and 1959, "The Twilight Zone" debuted on CBS-TV. The show ran for 5 years for a total of 154 episodes.
3. The annual Scout Food Drive for the Five Corner Cupboard in East Windsor will take place with Geissler’s Paper Bag drop off on Saturday and pick up of your donated canned goods around 8:30 a.m. on October 13. If you would prefer to drop off donations personally on October 13 you can do so at the Scantic Church between 8:30 a.m. and noon.
4. The American Legion Post and Auxiliary of Windsor Locks is holding its next breakfast gathering from 8:30 a.m. 11 a.m. Sunday at Memorial Hall, Elm and Main streets. All Post and Auxiliary members, their families and friends are invited to attend.
The menu will consist of juice, French toast or pancakes, sausage, and coffee or tea. The cost is $3.50 for adults, $2.50 for children under 12 years old. No tickets or reservations are necessary.
The Auxiliary, as part of its membership drive, is offering a free breakfast to anyone who joins or renews their membership.
5. The 13th Annual East Windsor Veterans Day 5K Road Race will take place at 10 a.m. on November 10. Here is a link to more information.