1. It’s Tuesday and will be sunny with a little wind and a high temperature of 74 degrees, so sayeth The Weather Channel. Tonight will be partly cloudy with a low temperature of 55 degrees.
2. On This Day in: 1690, one of America's earliest newspapers published its first and last edition. The "Publik Occurences Both Foreign and Domestik" was published at the London Coffee House in Boston by Benjamin Harris; 1775, Ethan Allen was captured by the British during the American Revolutionary War. He was leading the attack on Montreal; 1789, the first U.S. Congress adopted 12 amendments to the Constitution. Ten of the amendments became the Bill of Rights; 1957, 300 U.S. Army troops stood guard as nine black students were escorted to class at Central High School in Little Rock, AR. The children had been forced to withdraw 2 days earlier because of unruly white mobs; and 1981, Sandra Day O'Connor became the first female justice of the U.S. Supreme Court when she was sworn in as the 102nd justice. She had been nominated the previous July by President Ronald Reagan.
3. The annual Scout Food Drive for the Five Corner Cupboard in East Windsor will take place with Geissler’s Paper Bag drop off on October 6 and pick up of your donated canned goods around 8:30 a.m. on October 13. If you would prefer to drop off donations personally on October 13 you can do so at the Scantic Church between 8:30 a.m. and noon.
4. The Warehouse Point Volunteer Fire Department is having a pig roast fundraiser from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m. October 13. The pig roast will be held rain or shine. BYOB
The cost is $20 per person and $5 for kids under 12. Call 860-623-7780 or 860-539-0968 for tickets or stop by the fire department at 89 Bridge Street.
5. The East Windsor Chamber of Commerce will be holding a mini trade show at its next business after hours from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. October 24. The event will benefit the East Windsor Education Foundation and will be held Baymont Inn and Suites.
Chamber members can buy a table/booth for $25 which will be donated to foundation, which provides grants to educational opportunities to East Windsor school system and beyond. Please RSVP, or to purchase a Table/booth at this event, contact Jason Belanger, director of sales at Baymont at 860-627-6585 or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org.