Good morning, East Windsor and Windsor Locks! Today is Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2013; there are 328 days left in the year.
You may have already heard by now, but there was a little sporting event called the “Super Bowl” that was played Sunday. Now, if you are just learning about this so-called “Super Bowl” via this column, you may also want to get up to speed on some other things: the Allied Forces won World War II and we now have a product called Easy Cheese that doesn’t have to be refrigerated and isn’t actually made of cheese.
That’s about it, really.
Anyhoo, during this “Super Bowl,” the lights went out for 34 minutes in the third quarter at the venue where the game was being played - the SuperDome in New Orleans.
The social media-sphere pounced, with viral images, comments and thematic songs dotting the digital landscape. I’ll spare you any and all Katrina jokes. Still too soon. Also no The Beyonce jokes. Too many of ‘em.
I, too, responded with the immediacy you would expect from someone so smart, talented and quick witted. So, three days after the event, I present to you my top five songs that involve the electricity going out (I totally took, like, 15 minutes on this piece, so you know it’s comprehensive):
5. Lights Out - Peter Wolf (1984). Yeah, I just dropped this one on you just when you thought you forgot the song even existed. The lyrics are nonsense, but I love it anyway. Always have, always will. Bonus: watch the video and learn how Elaine Benes from Seinfeld learned how to dance.
4. The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia - Vicki Lawrence (1972). Fact: I have a college degree and missed graduating with honors by thismuch. I have a law degree. Contrary to popular opinion, I can be a pretty bright guy sometimes. But I have no earthly idea what this song is about. No one does. But if you were alive in the 1970s, you were required to own this on 45 (if you don’t know what that is, look it up, kids). Bonus: some pretty freaky stuff happens in Georgia in country songs, what with the devil also going down there looking for souls to steal and all.
3. Lights Out - Rick Astley (2010) - You ask, “Ted, are you on crack?” No. And even if I was, let me assure you that my crack habit has no bearing on the quality, or lack thereof, on my Daily 5s. Look, just ask yourself one thing: When was the last time Rick Astley appeared on any top 5 list that didn’t involve a punch line? I mean, the guy is almost exclusively known for “Rickrolling.” Cut the guy some slack. And Rick, if you are reading, you can thank me by posting your appearance on this list (No. 3!) by updating your Wikipedia page, noting that you top such musical luminaries as Peter Wolf and Vicki Lawrence. You’re welcome.
2. Turn Off the Light - Nelly Furtado (2001) - Which is exactly what The Beyonce ordered. DANG! I promised no The Beyonce jokes. Sorry.
1. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana (1991). “With the lights out/it’s less dangerous.” OK, it’s just the chorus, but this was THE song of the 1990s and I try to work it in Daily 5s whenever I can.
Here’s your Daily 5:
1. OK, so this isn't today but did you know that it's National Girl Scout Cookie Day on Friday? Holy cow, can you taste the Do-Si-Dos and Somoas just reading this?!
2. East Windsor High School sports sked: Boys wrestling, Suffield at EWHS, 6 p.m.
3. Windsor Locks High School sports sked: Boys basketball, East Granby at WLHS, 7 p.m.; Girls basketball, WLHS at East Granby, 7 p.m.; Suffield-Granby-Windsor Locks hockey at Whethersfield (game in Newington), 7 p.m.
4. Car seat safety check at the South Windsor Fire Department. The department offers the program each Wednesday afrom 8 a.m. until 11 a.m. at its Ellington Road (Route 30) headquarters.
5. The Bradley Regional Chamber of Commerce is hosting a Networking event at the New England Air Museum, this is the annual major Tobacco Valley Chamber Association networking event on Thursday, Feb. 7.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.Write a new post...What do you want to share?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something